Wednesday, February 17, 2010

chinese new year

Hello Mom and Family

Happy Valentines/ new years #2. Yesterday was also Chinese New Years which is really big here in Thailand because of the culture mix. There are many people who have Chinese roots. And there is also Thai new years in April, which happens to start the day after my birthday. Its going to be my biggest birthday party ever. The whole country is going to celebrate :D.
Anyways. Its great to hear the news from home. You are correct in the English translation of the สกลนคร is Sakon Nakhon. Every providence has a capital and the capital is named after the providence. That's where the elders usually are. Bangkok however works differently. I'm not really sure but I may get a chance to figure that out in the future. There is one area that is not the capital of a providence. Its very very small .
That's great the Clecklers are starting to learn with the elders. Its funny how the Lord prepares people to receive his gospel. For example many times elders here in Thailand talk to people and get rejected straight out. Sometimes people give us the opportunity to talk to them once then tell them that they aren't interested. But from those experiences the elders are able to plant seeds. There are also times like the Cleckers case were another religion can start the spark for people to search for the truth. Then there are sometimes where I have people come up to me and ask me who I am, what I'm doing, and can I teach them more. This has happened twice in Lop Buri. It was awesome.
This last week we started teaching six new people about the gospel. One of the lessons. we found out that a family had had past encounters with the elders. We started talking about the Book of Mormon. Then they stated oh I think we have that book all ready. --Normally when we hear this response it's because they have a bible or some book for a different sect of Christianity. But to our surprise they pulled out 2 copies of the Book of Mormon. I think they said that one had been given to them by the elders a few years back and got another from their father after he had passed away.
Well last week the branch president here asked me to prepare a talk to give in sacrament meeting yesterday. It was on sacrifice. I think I did a little better than the talk I gave in Lop Buri. It was a challenge to prepare because all the materials we have are in Thai. But it goes to show that my skills in reading and understanding Thai have improved a lot.
I'm glad you enjoyed the video. I'm hoping Brother Oat, the member who made the video, places the Blooper reel on as well its got some funny stuff on it of us as well as kind of shows the humor of the Thai members there.
Oh man its strange to think that Michael McBride will be going on a mission and that Reed Terry, David Nixon, and Noni Linchon are all back. Where did the last few years go. Well I'm really hoping the next few go by a lot slower. I have a lot of stuff to do here before I get back home.
Elder Blackhurst is going down to Bangkok the 3rd of march to renew his visa. I will most likely switch off for a day with someone in a different area to keep the work going. But Elder Blackhurst will pick up any package waiting for me.
I do have some things that could be useful for the next package. If you could send up some razor blades, some of those five blades ones that I got in the mail. They don't exist here in Thailand. and I'm on my last blade now. Also I left the CD player back in Lop Buri so that Elder Hawkes could have something to listen to there. And there's no CD player here but we do have speaker to plug into. So i was thinking If you could find my old blue CD player, could you send it too me. I would say it was in one of the dressers by my bed but, Connor moved into my room and I'm not really sure where anything is anymore :P
Well that's about it for this week. I don't have any pictures to send yet. Elder Blackhurst and I are going to take a look at the festival for the Chinese new years going on in the middle of town here today. Someone told us there was all kinds of different food to buy. Thai, Vietnamese, and of course Chinese food.
Before I send this email I want everyone to know that this is the true church of the Lord. That Joseph Smith is the prophet that brought to past the restoration of the church in this dispensation. The Book of Mormon is true every word. No man can get closer to our Heavenly Father then by following the teachings of it. Through searching, pondering and praying about it anyone can receive a testimony of its truthfulness.

I love you all.
The work is moving forward
until next week may the Lord be with you

Elder Brandon John Holt

No comments:

Post a Comment