Monday, March 22, 2010

Hello family


Well for the moment the craziness of what is, Moves week is over. Yes I did get a new companion his name is Elder Jolly. Cowinncadently (OK that one is spelled wrong) He is from the same place and school Elder Blackhurst lives at, Cottonwood heights.
It all started on Wednesday last week. In the afternoon Elder Blackhurst and I hopped on a bus to Udorn, that's where the zone leaders live and met up with the other elders who are traveling down to Bangkok at the train station. There I switched off with Elder Booth and said goodbye to Elder Blackhurst. So I didn't go down to Bangkok. Elder Booth and I kept the work in Udorn moving while people were moving. we switched of Wednesday night, Thursday, and Friday morning.

On Friday morning the missionaries from Bangkok came back and I met Elder Jolly and Elder Booth met his new companion Elder Berrnet, From my MTC group.
I was way excited because Elder Jolly is the first companion that I have had that I knew before we were companions. I met him when I was with Elder Ito Way back when. He was in my zone.

In that afternoon we spent a little bit on the bus returning to Sakon Nakhon, then the rest of the day we spent the time seeing investigators and other people that we teach.

Saturday was a normal day for what missionary work is normal. but Sunday was fun.

Yes Mom I am aware of what is happening in Bangkok, it helped the events of yesterday unfold a little bit.

Yesterday morning we were the first ones to get to the church which, was strange because we came later then we normally do. So we had to unlock the church and begin setting up. After 10 minutes or so some more people arrived in this group was the Branch President's family, but not the Branch President. They have recently returned from Hong Kong where they went through the temple for the first time. woot woot. Anyways at this time it is about 10 minutes to 9. At nine everything was set up, and we had two of our newest investigators walk in, that was sweet because it was their first time. so we helped them get settled down with some members beside them. It was about this time where Elder Jolly and I wondered where the Branch President was, So we asked the Branch President's wife. She told us, "He is not coming this week. He has to go to Udorn and get ready to go Bangkok, (he is a police Officer) I thought you knew." I'm not really sure where I missed the memo. It could have been Elder Balckhurst forgot to tell me, It could have been that someone told me but, because of the lack of my skills in Thai I may have not understood it, or it could have been he forgot to tell us. It was most likely the second.

So at this point I went into panic mode. for these reasons.
1. We had no branch president
2. We have little priestood in this branch about 5 people give or take
3. Elder Jolly was new and had no idea what was going on
4. We had 2 new investigators
5. Brother Lek who was baptized last week was getting confirmed.
6. I forgot to eat breakfast and I was hungry

So thankfully Elder Jolly helped me sort things out. We quickly found Brother Hong who is the ward mission leader, we asked him to lead and confirm Brother Lek. We sat down at the sacrament table, and we had 2 members that had Aaronic priesthood pass the sacrament. And well I'm not sure how but everything sorted itself out before to much longer. Then it was a good Sunday. Brother Lek was confirmed a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. Our 2 new investigators said that they love coming to church and are going to try to come next week. And I got lunch made by the members after church, Sticky rice, beef and bananas.
I think the Lord helped out a lot.

So concerning the events that are unfolding in Bangkok, we know about it and are taking measures to prevent anything happening to the missionaries. they have asked us to have a 4 day supply of food in every Elders house in case there is a day or 2 that we need to stay inside. I haven't heard much about what the Elders are doing in Bangkok but last year, this same thing happened and the elders stayed in for a day or 2. I'm far enough away that it doesn't affect us. Other than some of our investigators are cops and have been on edge for the last 2 months because they have to be ready to go into Bangkok if they are called, Other then that I can't really say much because of mission rules.

I did get you package and I loved everything that was in it. Elder Blackhurst and I made cookies and brownies that past 2 weeks. And the oatmeal is all gone . Thank you :)

I don't know the next time someone is going to Bangkok but it should be in a few weeks.

I had a strange thought last week. about a year ago I turned in my papers. And now here I am on the other side of the world.

That exciting that Spencer is going to the same mission as Richard.

I learned the other day that the Rice season is July to December or some thing like that. Its the wet season.

Ok I have to go

I love you all

Elder Brandon John Holt

PS Connor kick Kearns butt.
- Show quoted text -

No comments:

Post a Comment