Wednesday, April 7, 2010

April conference

Hello family of mine


How is everyone? I think here in Thailand, we are in the hottest months of the year. That throws me off a little bit. I forget the month a lot. It feels more like the hot weather of August then the cool spring mornings of April. So when Brother Wally, a member from Alaska in our Branch, came up and wished us a happy Easter I had totally forgot that it was Easter.

This last week we had Zone Conference in Khong Keng. President Smith talked about our purpose as a missionary. He pointed out some good points. For example we all know the missionary purpose by heart "bring others to Christ by helping them receive the restored gospel through faith in the Lord Jesus Christ and his atonement, repentance, baptism, laying on the hands of the gift of the Holy Ghost and enduring to the end" but do we realize that we are the only way to salvation for the people here in Thailand. That we are the only people who will find them and teach them. It places a lot more responsibility on our shoulders when you put it that way.

It was a great zone conference, and I was able to meet up with Sister Webb, who had served in Lop Buri when I was there and ask about the investigators that I taught and the members that I worked with. It was great to here about some of them.

After Conference Elder Jolley and I hopped back on a bus and returned to Sakon Nakhon.

On Wednesday The Branch here had its first wedding ever to happen in this branch, with Vernon, the German man that I talked about last week, and another member in the branch. Elder Jolley had the privilege of being the best man, because he was translating for Vernon at the same time. It's a sweet thing when there is a wedding here because they do it the Thai way then the church way. I'm not really sure what was entailed for the Thai part of it because we didn't have time to go because of the work, but that's alright. After they had a wedding reception that we didn't make because of English class that we taught. Its funny because this was a real wedding because as it was happening it rained. Proving that no matter what country you are getting married in the weather will do all it can to stop it. We also didn't have any students show up to English class that night, so we got to go eat a good dinner at the Pizza Company.

Sorry for this Email coming so slow this week. Elder Jolley and I spent the morning cleaning our house. After the house painter had been working there for the last week it really needed it. Oh ya I don't remember if I told you, about 3 weeks ago our landlord called us and asked if they could come over to inspect the house. We said yes. They came over and told us they have some time and money and want to fix the house up. It had been 8 years or more since anything had been done with it. We were more than happy to let them do as they pleased because after 8 years of elders the house really needs some major cleaning. So this last week painters have been painting the outside and inside of our house and have been fixing up the little things. So we have had to move things around over the weekend to help them paint. Its been fun. One of the things I found interesting is one thing that Elder Jolley pointed out. The scaffolding that they use to get to the upper floor outside is just bamboo poles. They balance themselves and hang off them and do all kinds of tricks, that if I were to do I would be yelled at, to paint the house.

I'm glad that you enjoyed conference, We get to watch DVD copies of it this weekend. I'm way excited to watch it. But not so much for it being in Thai. Oh well, I guess it will be a great way to test my language skills and see how far I have improved in the last months. Last time I remember not understanding a thing. But I think it will be different this time. Would you please send me a copy of the Ensign when it comes out next month as well?


OK, my time is up for this week, but before I go I want to ask for a thing or 2. First if you can send me a copy of the new Gospel Principle manual in English I think that would help me a little more on what we are learning in church. I have a Thai copy but its hard to understand all the time. Next is one for Dad. The German guy that married the member here, has become more and more interested in the church. Yesterday I was translating for him, and he told me, " I wish I was able to understand what is going on, if I had one of those books in a language that I could understand think it would help a lot." So I was thinking, Do you think you could find a Book Of Mormon and a gospel Principles Manual in German and send it to me? That's about all I think I need for the time being, Dad maybe you could write your testimony in German as well. I think that would help him a lot.

OK I have to go. I love you all. Thank you also for all that you do. and for your love and support.


Your son and Brother


Elder Brandon John Holt

No comments:

Post a Comment