Monday, October 11, 2010

A baptism!

Hello everybody

I'm doing great. Well I want to tell you of the baptism that we had this last Saturday. It was of an investigator that is named เป็ด (ped) duck in English. He is an investigator that has been learning for the last year. but has known the Elders for the last 16 years. He first met the Elders just after he graduated from the university with a teaching degree. He is an English teacher. Anyways one day he was in a library reading a book and a Elder approached him and invited him to start taking the discussions. He accepted and after learning with the elders he wanted to be baptized but before he could be, he moved into anther province of Thailand which didn't have a branch in it yet to work so he wasn't able to be baptized at that time. After a few years passed by, he moved back into the Ubon province and last year when he was in a park, one of the missionaries in my MTC group, Elder Parkinson and his trainer, Elder Wright, invited him to come to the English class. So he started learning with the Elders again until last Saturday where he was baptized a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I love his story because it really shows how the Lord prepared him. As well as how Heavenly Father is leading us everyday in our lives. Sometimes we may not know where but in the end if we are doing everything that we are supposed to, we will end up where the Lord wants us.
As we were talking to him about his baptism program we asked him who he wanted to baptize him. Then he thought for awhile, Then said, "Elder Holt." I was a little surprised to say because I just got transferred into the area and didn't really know anyone so I asked him why. He replied, "Well, the first Elder to teach me was from Utah, then the elder to find me last year was from Utah so I think it would only be right if an elder from Utah were to baptize me." So I told him, well it makes sense and accepted the honor to baptize him.
I have to say, baptizing an investigator in a different language is a lot different then doing it in English in the temple. I had an opportunity to go to the temple and baptize Marie and some other friends just before I went into the MTC. So I was a little nervous to do it. As I was baptizing him, I remembered to speak very slowly so that I was able to pronounce every word correctly. I think the hardest part was to say Ped's real name. I don't remember if I ever have told you. Most people here in Thailand have a nick name which everybody uses to call them, then they have a real name. They use the real name in anything official. So being in the church I get to learn a lot of real names.
Elder Lesueur's and my goal is to baptize 5 people before the end of the Transfers which is in the middle of next month. We have one more investigator that has a date to get baptized on the 10th of October that we are working a few issues out with her but I think she will be ready. I think I talked about her a week or 2 ago, her name is Mai. She is really sweet to teach because she literally teaches herself. I think we will be able to make our goal.
Well the other day I met an interesting person. As we were getting ready to eat one day for lunch we chose a restaurant that we like to eat at. When we got there we chose a table to sit at. At the table next to us there was a man wearing a religious hat. I decided to start a conversation with him. (one thing that I have really liked here in Ubon is that the elders here are friends with people in all kinds of religions, for example, there is a Muslim mosque that we pass by every day where everyone knows the elders and always shouts hello as we pass by.) Anyways I greeted the man in Thai, he replied in Thai then in English how am I. At this point I'm a little confused because he spoke very clear Thai and then very clear English. Anyway we started talking. After I while I learned that he was from India. He was Shik, and he was a fortune teller. After talking our food came so we ate a little before talking. All of a sudden the man said Elder, (His name is Pamii by the way) in your past you had 2 girlfriends right, one was a little darker skin, and the other was very beautiful. I didn't have the heart to tell him that I only had one girlfriend, Kelli. Anyways he then asked me if I had any accidents in the past? I showed him my finger and told him I cut myself with a knife. He said, "Hmm this is very bad for you right now, this time will be very bad and difficult, but in your future you will be very high up in your business and have very good luck. and be happy." After that he stood up and said we will meet again in the future, have a good day and paid for his meal and walked out. That was a little strange I have to admit but hey I got a free fortune telling. Its amazing what kind of people you can meet here in Thailand.
Well with Jay(as a "pen pal", adds Mom) I think it would be a great idea. I'm actually surprised that Connor and Ice aren't friends yet on facebook. I talked to a member named Deao (that may not be spelled right) the other day who thought that Connor was me (why does everyone do that) and added him to his friends, I don't know how much English Jay can speak but I'll talk to him and see what he thinks.
Well I'll send some photos of the baptism
Ok I have to go
I love you all
Elder Brandon John Holt




No comments:

Post a Comment