Sunday, December 13, 2009

Hello family

It has been a plain normal week of missionary work. This has been the first week in several weeks that we have not had to leave our area in order to go to Bangkok. So we have had the full week to prepare our investigators and members for the coming moves meeting.

We had the chance to talk to a teach two new investigators. First is a soldier in the Thai army -- There are a lot of soldiers here in Lop Buri because Lop Buri is a big military base -- It took us a little while to find his house because he lives in a community that I have never been to before but, after asking some guards at one of the entrances of the base they were able to point us in the right direction. It was a really really short lesson because he was in a rush to go to some army thing I'm not really sure what. We went in and gave him a Book of Mormon and he brought his family in then we left. We haven't had a chance to set a date for another appointment but we plan to call him in the next day or so.

The other guy is a older gentleman that one of our Zone leaders and I found during our switch offs last weeks. He had recently gotten out of the hospital after a car ran in to him and he lost his leg. He was out on the street walking with crutches. He told us he was so happy to be out and walking again. We returned and taught him the restoration and I think we are planing to go see him tomorrow.

We had to drop some of our investigators because most of them have hit the point were either they began to progress themselves or they can not be baptized. It has been a really interesting experience to see how teaching people the gospel changes their lives. It is also interesting to see that everyone has imperfections and trials that they must overcome in order to receive baptism. I know that these trials that we all have are given to us to help us to learn and grow. Have I ever told you that I love Missionary work? Well I do. I'm glad I'm over here. Although it is far away from my home land. I am happy to serve the lord and lead his children back to him.

Today we went to Ayutia( Im not really sure how to spell it in English) We traveled down on the train and then in tuk tuks as we visited a market and a ancient wat. I have some good pictures that I'm going to try and send today.

Wow 17 days till Christmas already, time flies when you're on a mission. I think I have decided that 2 years is not enough time to serve a mission and get all that you want to do done. Here is something to think about; tomorrow is the 10th of December, that is my 4 month mark in Thailand. The very first missionary stayed only 4 months in Thailand and then returned because the frustration he had at not being able to overcome the language barrier. I think at this point for me although I still don't speak very well and make mistakes all the time ( I'm reminded of that fact by both the members and my companion) I know that I will speak as good as I need to in order to help the work progress here.

with some of the questions, The sunflowers are awesome. They have a season of late October to the middle of December. A lot of missionaries come up to Lop Buri if they can to see them every year.

I have the SD card that you sent in the first package here, so no worries about that. I think it will be easier to send CDs back and hang on to the sd cards here. I may buy another one here. I'm not really sure on that yet.

With music, Elder Ito was kind enough to leave me his CD player and speakers here in lop buri. but no CDS that I can listen to. Here is what the missionary handbook says on music that we can listen too. " Listen only to music that is consistent with the sacred spirit of your calling. Music should invite the Spirit, Help you focus on the work, and direct your thoughts and feelings to the Savior. Do not listen to music that pulls your thoughts away from your work, merely entertains, has romantic lyrics or overtones, or dulls your spiritual sensitivity by its tempo, beat, loudness, lyrics, or intensity."
That's pretty strict. President Smith clarified it as this, if it has a drum set in it for example a lot of EFY stuff does, we can't listen to it, But I believe that classical, Mormon Tabernacle Choir and Christmas music is still good to listen to. I also agree on not sending my I pod. CDS are ok though.

well I think that's all I can think of to put in this weeks email.
I love you all.


Elder Brandon John Holt.
Ps. Sorry i wasn't able to get the computer to read my camera.
Oh and also P-day may be next Tuesday so please write emails a day earlier or I won't get them.

No comments:

Post a Comment