Monday, January 17, 2011

First full week back in Bangkok

Hello family

I'm doing great this week. Bangkok is crazy!!!! I have never ever seen so many people in Thailand. Every time I think about how many people are in the area that my district covers it blows me away to think how much work needs to be done. Anyways to sum up this week really fast it was pretty much running back and forth teaching all kinds of new people and trying to get to know our investigators as well as members. I'm way glad its preparation day and I get a few minutes to sit.

In the last week Elder Kampanat and I gave three investigators baptismal dates. 2 of which are on the 19th of February and 1 which is on the 25th of February. However that last one will probably be moved because the investigator named choke didn't really understand when we said he was going to get baptized. So we will have to keep working with him. The first two however are awesome investigators. One is a lady by the name of eye. She is in her 30s and has been making changes in her life to come into the fold of the Savior. She has an amazing testimony of the gospel already. We might move her date up if possible. The other is a man named nipone. He is a quiet shy man that sells dish washing soap for a living. He too, is starting to build a testimony of Christ and the gospel.

We met some interesting people this last week. For example we met a Hmong. He has been in Thailand all his life, or so I think.... His name in chuu. It was interesting to teach him because he speaks Thai, but he speaks to about my skill level. So we had to speak Thai really slowly and had to be careful to explain the meaning of words. For example when we said prayer he didn't understand but after we explained it and prayed I think he understood a lot better. He can't read Thai but thankfully we have the office which we can get a Book of Mormon in about every language it comes in. Anyways with chuu we are trying to set up another appointment with him. He works from 8 in the morning to 9 at night. so it makes it a little difficult to meet. But we'll see what we can do.

Another man that we met was named luang. He is a graffic designs artist and works at his house. He has a ton of knowledge about religion and loves to study on his free time. So when we offered to teach him about our religion for free he said yes. I think he will be a really good investigator. he seemed to understand the restoration really well.

Elder Kampanat is an awesome missionary. If it wasn't for him and his outgoing attitude to teach everyone he sees, we would have never been able to reach and surpass our goals for teaching lessons this week. Together we taught 29 lessons. That is the most that I have ever taught in one week. That's a lot. Anyways. Elder Kampanat is from Bangkok. so he knows the area pretty well. He lives in the south part of Bangkok and is from the Sinockgrin ward in the Bangkok stake. He is the only member in his family but he has an amazing testimony and is willing to share with everybody that he sees. He spent a year or two in West Virgina which is where he learned how to speak English, as an exchange student. Sounds familiar, no? After he got back he met the missionaries and got a testimony and was baptized. He has been an awesome companion. although he makes it impossible to serve myself because he loves to serve me first. lol. He is one of the most humble guys that I have ever met. He also loves to ballroom dance. I'm hoping one day to learn a little from him.

Because I am in the office area I can get packages the week they come in so no waiting time. That's a plus being here. Anyway for requests I don't have a lot that I can think of for the moment. Just deodorant and maybe some stuff to cook, like pudding, and I just received inspiration of stove top stuffing. We have a stove top to cook stuff. so ya. Anyway I trust you, and will be grateful for whatever you send.

That's about it for this week. I agree time is going too fast. I hope it slows down.

I love you all

Elder Brandon John Holt


No comments:

Post a Comment